There is no "I" in team...but there is "me"

I have put that title in to make a point that I will get to in just a moment--

In building a team of leaders, the work of several individuals is required to ensure success through leverage for the team as a whole. However, there is a time when each recruiter must stand back and ask themselves a couple of very important questions: "Would I want to be on my own team?" and "Am I providing the best guidance and support to my new recruits?"

A recruiter must be present and very accessible for those first crucial weeks (or in some cases, months) for a new associate. The "newbie" needs to be encouraged, trained, encouraged, motivated, encouraged...get my drift? This can be a tough industry and you don't want a rough start to cause someone to quit before they have even begun!

That's why, in my opinion, it is in the best interest of a recruiter, his/her new recruit and his team as whole, that he choose only a few new individuals to closely work with at a time...some may disagree with this point of view and they are entitled to their own opinion and workstyle.

However, I believe that close attention is imperative in ensuring the success of a new associate. On-going support and guidance is crucial in those first pivotal weeks to get the recruit started in the correct direction....Imagine how difficult and stressful it would be to try to work closely with say, 20 new recruits over the course of 24 hours? Some would be getting stressed and inevitably, others would feel they are getting a lack of quality attention and/or field training.

Please understand, I am not endorsing "babysitting" or "spoon-feeding" recruits. After all, this is a business and no one should be here who isn't willing to work for it. However, through working closely with just a few associates at a time, I believe that a recruiter can actually get them onto the right path and within a few weeks (or possibly a few months) they will feel comfortable to give presentations or call prospects on their own. In the long run, the recruit doesn't feel pushed out on his own too quickly, the recruiter doesn't feel as though he or she has spread himself too thin and everyone ends up more content and thus, more productive and successful!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Nothing moves fast in the land of the lost....

You're Either Building Someone Else's Dream or Your Own

I'm Back!